Clear guidelines on submission of the work
- that the work has not been published before (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review or thesis)
- that the work is not under consideration elsewhere
- that copyright has not been breached in seeking its publication
- that the publication has been approved by all co-authors and responsible authorities at the institute or organization where the work has been carried out
What type of content is or is not acceptable for publication
- are translations of previously published articles acceptable?
- are extended versions of conference proceedings acceptable?
In these cases the author is expected to give full disclosure for transparency reasons but it could also be necessary for the author to seek approval from the original publisher.
It should also be noted that different disciplines have different expectations. When authors cross over to other disciplines, make sure they are aware of the explicit policies of the journal in order to manage their expectations. Please note there are no universally agreed rules or regulations.